Desigual
Desigual
 

06 Mar. 2012

DESIGUAL LAUNCHES HOMEWARE LINE

The fun and colorful Spanish apparel brand Desigual is continuing its growth through a series of of new initiatives. Desigual will launch its new homeware line this fall and plans to start selling by Spring 2013 with a presentation at Milan Design Week in April of next year. “It will mostly be a textile collection that will be sold worldwide through department stores and specialized homeware and furniture stores," explained Manell Adell, CEO and 30% shareholder of the company.

“La Vida es Chula”, Desigual, Calle Caspe 33, Barcelona, Spain
“La Vida es Chula”, Desigual, Calle Caspe 33, Barcelona, Spain


For the second time since the Spring/Summer 2012 women's footwear and accessory collection debut, Desigual has teamed up with Micam, the Milan footwear company. The Desigual footwear and accessory collection - in addition to being sold through most of the brand's 250 retail stores, 10,000 wholesale stores and 1,700 shops-in-shops - will also be sold at about 700 specialty shoe stores worldwide. Supporting their commitment to selling footwear, the company has recently opened four new test concept Desigual stores selling only footwear and accessories - one in Paris, which opened in mid-February, as well as two in Barcelona and one in Madrid that opened in 2011. "We are testing this new store concept, since we want to learn how to get the best from this market segment,” the brand reported.

The company recently faced a change in management after Christian Meyer, who was involved in the retail and expansion division and is the brother of founder Thomas Meyer, left Desigual in 2011 over reported disagreements with his brother. Christian Meyer's position has now been integrated and is covered by Desigual's new chief operations officer, Manell Jadraque.

In 2011, Desigual operated 275 of its own stores and was sold at 7,000 multi-brand stores and 1,800 department stores, closing the fiscal year with a €560 million turnover – 30% more than reported in 2010. By the end of 2012 they expect to increase their revenues by about 20%. The brand is sold in 71 countries, though its major markets are Spain, Portugal, Italy, France and Germany, which altogether account for 70% or their sales. 90% of sales come from Europe, though the company is also working to expand in the US and Canada (where they have been present since 2009 with 2,000 stores) as well as in Asia, where they will open their first store in Shanghai by the end of April 2012.

Desigual has recently opened four new test concept stores selling only footwear and accessories
Desigual has recently opened four new test concept stores selling only footwear and accessories


Maria Cristina Pavarini

Back to home